Saturday, March 7, 2020

Week 10 Reflection

Throughout my time in this course a lecture that really stuck with me was the one about the professor talking about her personal relationship with La Virgen de Guadalupe. It intrigued me because whenever I thought about religion growing up it just made me think that it was formal and you must be respectful. So, when the professor was telling us how she and La Virgen were “tight like that,” it shocked me but also made a lot of sense. Religion is a very personal and spiritual experience so saints and how you experience religion should be based on how you view them and how your own relationship with them. More so, when the Professor was telling us about how people were upset over her pieces they should have been able to understand that religion is subjective so, although the professor depicted La Virgen in that way that is her experience with La Virgen and she was just expressing it through her art. 
Another part of the course that I found interesting was how the growth in my drawing of my hands came along. At first the when we did the “draw your hand but do not look at the paper” technique I thought it was the silliest thing I heard of because how was it supposed to look like a hand if I never looked down? Though those drawings where I was not supposed to look at my hand did not come out good (or even looked like a hand) it made me realize how important it is to pay attention to the little details of the hand such as the fine lines and creases our hands have. I really enjoyed making water painting drawings of my hands because when I would use the water to paint it made it look more put together and “arts;” even my roommates agreed.

No comments:

Post a Comment