Saturday, March 7, 2020

Week 10: Reflection

Having studied art for four years at UCLA and never having taken an Chicanas Art and Artist class, I only hoped to be surrounded by others who embrace art while wanting to learn more about the Chicana and Latinx communities. Never having taken a Chicano class, I was worried the information would be hard and too dense for me to keep up and retain what I learned. Surprisingly, having to draw while the lecture is happening made me feel more involved in the class discussion and allowed me to look back and remember details about what was discussed. The subject matter seemed like a class on me and my history. Having been born to a father who faces discrimination because of his nationality, skin tone, and construction occupation, I connected with the information on the evolution of southern California and jobs. In addition, I also connected with the discussions on latinos in academia and the United Farm Workers union during the time my mother was a child picking California oranges and participating in her high school’s walkout. For the first time in my life, I sat in a class where my history was being taught to me. Each lecture filled in details about my parents and grandparents that made my life more than an a progressive Latino skit for Netflix and more of a true uncut moment in history that has always and continues to affect me and my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment