Monday, March 9, 2020

Week 10 Reflections

I did not really have any idea how this class would play out when I signed up.  Initially, I signed up because it fit my schedule and was a class that fit in my Camino for the Chicano/a Studies major.  I guess if I could think back to what I thought at the time, I would have imagined that it would be just a history of Chicano art and the artists that created it.  This class turned out to be so much more than that.  While I did learn a lot about Chicano artists and their artwork, I also learned about art in general and we even got to do a bit of art ourselves.  Had I not taken this class, I do not know that I would have ever heard of some of the brilliant artists we covered in class. Carmen Lomas Garza. Celia Alvarez Munoz. Yolanda Lopez. The photographer Christina Fernandez, who I did my artist presentation and research paper on.  Not only did I get to learn about her work, but we also got to meet Ofelia Esparza.  On top of that, I loved having the opportunity to do some artwork as well.  My background is in Accounting, one of the least artistic professions.  My sketches are not the best, but I had a blast giving them a try and learning new things.  This class has taken me out of my comfort zone and really, that was the whole point of coming to UCLA to begin with.  Thank you professor and I hope the rest of you have much success.

No comments:

Post a Comment