Monday, March 9, 2020

Week 6: Stencil

I am choosing to do my stencil project on a coffee cup. Lately I have been hitting up a lot of coffee shops. I think the coffee culture specifically in the hood is very unique because a lot of the coffee shops unlike others are community driven and bring a space to chill and have community. Two of the coffee shops that have stood out to me are Patria & Sip&Sonder. Patria is a coffee shop in Compton that has great coffee but a place I admire because of its involvement with the events that it has with different community organizations. Being able to see the impact it has had on my community is beautiful to me. The other coffee shop that I really enjoy and I admire is Sip&Sonder. I found out about this coffee shop through a friend. I also see how this coffee shop also does a lot of community work and how the community embraces and respects the coffee shop for its efforts to promote black owned businesses. The coffee culture in my neighborhood and in other hoods is something that is not common so I understand why the pick up of business for the coffee shop is slow but I think that community organizing is crucial for these coffee shops and it also helps them stand out and stay true to the community rather than try to be a hipster coffee shop. The impact these two and other coffee shops or cafe's have had on our communities is very admirable and I am excited to see what other they host.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment