Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Week 9 Judy Baca

One artist I was excited to learn about during the presentations last week was Judy Baca. To start, I've heard her name quite a few times after attending the UCLA arts department or almost four years now, so it was interesting to get an in depth understanding of her life and work. Baca founded LA's first murals program which has since created over 400 murals. Baca creates artwork that encompasses history, people, and place to comment Chicanx communities. Baca's most well known piece is titled Great Wall of Los Angeles. This mural, which is the largest in the world, recruited hundreds of artists and community members to support it. This act alone turned something from her artwork to our artwork, which is monumental in creating a stronger community. This massive mural covers over 6 city blocks! From start to finish, this amazing mural depicts the history of California as seen through the eyes of minorities and women. Personally, I chose to write about this for my blog post because I think the significance behind the mural is so important. Similar to the artist I chose, Yreina Cervantez, Judy Baca wears her heritage on her sleeve, loud and proud. Her artwork is her history, it's her people and it's her community. I hope to be able to visit the Great Wall of Los Angeles and see first hand this amazing mural.

No comments:

Post a Comment