Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Week Nine Presentations

I really enjoyed learning about the public artists like Judy Baca and all of the amazing photographers from last week's presentations. The photographer that stuck with me the most was Thalia Gochez and her recent taking to photography as a reaction to the election of Donald Trump. She uses film photography to create a true representation of her community. In an interview with Kno Online she said she does not consider herself as an activist but explains, “I’m just learning how to exist and navigate in these institutions that weren’t built for people like me to succeed. I do that by highlighting and holding a safe space to the best of my ability through my art for my friends and people of color in my community.” She creates art for herself and community for their own sense of representation and enjoyment which I admired and reminded me of the photographer I chose to research, Delilah Montoya. She has been interviewed by many art blogs and magazines and even has done projects with Nike. Also, I like the effect that the film has on her photos and the angelic look it often gives the women in the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment