Friday, March 6, 2020

Week 9 Laura Aguilar

The artist work that stood out to me was Laura Aguilar. I remember when we watched her video in class and got into her art/photography and learned about her life. Seeing the images again just reminded me of the discussion we had on her art and also the topics of mental health.  Her images always had a piece of herself and being one with nature. But I also loved how she expressed her humor in her images and the way in which she was so open with sharing her work. The way it all came back to aspects of her life and nature I found inspiring.
I also loved how she showed off her body and didn't care! I feel like now there are tons of expectations for women's bodies and they are not at all accurate. She was aware of this but it did not phase her because through her photography she was able to accept her beauty in its entirety. It sends a message that all bodies are beautiful and I love that we were able to look into her work.
I also didn't know much about photography and art forms until this class so to be able to learn about Laura Aguilar and see how Chicana women artists have chosen to express themselves is amazing.
I don't know if I would have the bravery she did to photograph herself in such a way. Or maybe being in nature would give me the courage she had. Either way, she was an amazing woman with an amazing mind and great sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment