Saturday, March 7, 2020

Week9: Artist that stood out to me

The artist that stood out to me for week 9 presentations was the Chicana artist Barbara Carrasco. Her work is amazing and to know that some of her work was not put out for the public to see is upsetting. For more than 10 years (it was more, but I do not know the exact number) her work did not meet the public's eye. However, now that is is shown, it comes to show what an amazing artist she is. I really loved seeing the mural because, for one, the hair stood out to me. I liked how the artist used the hair as a space to create timelines or show stories that have occurred throughout the years. ]I remember the student speaking about how she honored the children who were victims of police brutality. In my perspective, I believe it is important for someone to speak out to those that can't because if not no one's voice is going to be heard. From personal experience, people who are unable to speak out, put their trust in those who can do so. Aside from that, her mural reminded me of a timeline of important events that indigenous people went through. It also connects to religious figures, such as the Virgin Mary which I liked because at the beginning of the course we spent time discussing her. Barbara Carrasco is a talented Chicana that paints for a purpose and that is to tell many stories so the public can be aware of who we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment