Saturday, January 23, 2021

Week 4 Post- Museum Panel

I enjoyed watching the Printing the Revolution from the Smithsonian American Art museum. The speaker started off by showing the Yo Soy Chicano artwork and introduced other pieces. One thing that always stands out to me now after taking so many Chicano classes is the fact that "Chicano" was once a derogatory term. Seeing how we were able to turn "Chicano" as a cultural and political badge of honor goes to show you how powerful our people are and how we take the cards we are dealt with to progress. Getting to witness these artworks that have set the stage to our movement has been something beautiful to be able to experience. I never realized how big of a role the arts played in leading the farm workers movement. This exhibition highlights many ugly realities we still see today like police brutality and immigration reform. Juan Fuentes mentioned a quote during the discussion that said "one struggle many fronts." This especially stood out to me because I think many immigrants could relate to this. They are facing a single struggle but it comes in many different forms. Another thing that stood out to me was the artwork displaying a androgynous Chicana who had the Virgin Mary on her back with a rose below it (I believe it was Ester's piece). I like this piece because to me it represents feminism in the way her back curves and as Ester pointed out sexuality as well (which both things are still considered taboo to some extent). Lastly, I enjoyed seeing Zeke's artwork because as he stated most of his art caters to youth. By incorporating traditional art techniques and technology makes it easier for youth nowadays to engage and share with others. In all, our youth is our future and pave the way for new trends that help later generations.

No comments:

Post a Comment