Sunday, January 31, 2021

Week 5 - La Virgen

    


La Virgen in my family was a symbol I remember growing up because of my dad. We always used to pray to her before in the car before leaving the house for school. She was one of the only ones I remember always praying to. Although I did not grow up going to Church La Virgen was a symbol I always knew. In high school I remember learning about the symbol with more detail. Going to a Catholic school helped me learn that La Virgen was a powerful symbol because she was an apparition seen by Juan Diego. The story seemed very interesting and I found myself more intrigued by her symbol once learning more details about her story. I also have witnessed painting and street art in which La Virgen is featured as the main subject. In my neighborhood I see her painting on the walls and can actively see she is a vital source for my community. I see that these paintings mean different things to different people. Taking classes in college has shown me that La Virgen is a sign of spirituality and depending on the person you can embrace that spirituality in different ways. I have seen people alter La Virgen de Guadalupe’s image not out of disrespect, but out of their own spirituality. Artists express the ways in which they feel and see La Virgen and can feel the utmost closest to her. I have learned that La Virgen de Guadalupe is an image I can alter to make me feel more empowered as a woman. As a female image she brings strength to so many women all over the Latinx community, but some feel her image with more power when embracing her in different ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment