Wednesday, January 27, 2021

Week Five Discussion Post: Guadalupe

    Iconography stands as the "science of identification, description, classification, and interpretation of symbols, themes, and subject matter in the visual arts (Britannica, The Editors of Encyclopaedia). As such, iconography can be, and oftentimes is, related to the practice of image veneration. Commonly, this concentrates on exhibiting esteem and bestowing homage to objects that visually represent cherished and sanctified beings and realities. For the Mexican and Chicano populace, one such iconographic character that supersedes them all socially, culturally, and religiously, is none other than La Virgen de Guadalupe. Dubbed as the Patron Saint of Mexico and the Mother of all Mexicans, Guadalupe constitutes something personally significant for all Mexicans and Chicanos everywhere, even those who do not belong to the Roman Catholic Church. I am among those who do not align themselves with any religious sect, and yet, Guadalupe has long held an intrinsic role throughout all points of my existence. In my eyes, she sincerely has always been my mother. 
    As a niña, colorism appeared to contaminate all parts of my person. No matter what, the brown-colored complexion of my skin was always a point of contention and conversation among all members of my family. Although much lighter in the face at present, when I was younger I was one of the more darker-skinned people in all my family, and because of this, I stood out in a negative way. I distinctly remember individuals such as my tías, tíos, and primos repeatedly calling me malicious and distressing nicknames like Prieta, India, India María, and several others Consequently, this led me to become tremendously ashamed of being Indigenous and caused me to have incredibly low self-esteem. Nonetheless, my life was completely transformed when my grandmother reminded me of one thing, La Virgen de Guadalupe had dark-brown skin just like me. And thus, La Morenita, as she is affectionately called by Mexicans, took on a new meaning for me. Guadalupe became a sort of realistic mother figure as she did for me what most mothers do for their daughters. She uplifted me, made me feel beautiful, reassured me of my worth, and above all, protected me from all people who were evil to me in my life. I saw myself reflected in her, and I obtained great pride and power from this. The way I viewed it, not one person could make me feel poorly about the color of my skin because it bared enormous similarities to the most venerated women in all of Mexico. I was like Guadalupe, I looked like Guadalupe because I was her daughter. To this day, I carry her with me everywhere I go. On a gold chain, sparkling for everyone to see her. And that will never change.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jaqueline, your story as a child and being "morenita" resonates with me. I also was made to feel bad for my darker complexion. I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger, and was told by a relative that right after a meet I should run immediately to shade to avoid getting even darker. As I got older I learned and unlearned many things and also learned where those ideas are rooted in. I found it interesting that you found comfort in the Virgin de Guadalupe. I've always struggled with her image and the meaning, but I guess another way to look at it, is the way you did. She is morentita and is one of the most prominent figures in our culture.

    ReplyDelete