Monday, February 8, 2021

Rasquachismo (Week 6)

    Rasquachismo is a common experience in Chicano communities across the United States and Mexico, yet is seldom defined in academia. Merging ideas of class consciousness, adaptability, and resourcefulness along with aesthetic features of bright colors, overlapping textures, and repurposed objects, rasquachismo describes a "Sensibility," "Attitude," and "Taste;" a dynamic reaction to living as the underdog in society. In the margins of class divides, the rasquachismo will find the beauty and nobility of their surroundings, championing the intellect of the worker and pointing out the frivolous nature of life itself and the world at large. Utilizing visually striking colors and ornamentation, the rasquache aesthetic is described by Ybarra-Frausto as "unrestrained," making each recycled object a statement, both literally and figuratively. While some may see the struggle of the rasquache as unfortunate, filled with suffering, and ever-pining for a different life, the reality of the sensibility is "sustained by laughter and cosmic will-to-be," (88) far removed from the expectations of outsiders who cannot see past the individual's class status.


   
In my personal experience, I was always taught to deeply appreciate salvaged objects used in every-day life. I was surprised to read that the use of recycled cans as flower pots was noted, as this is something that has always been in my home – our many colorful Café Bustelo containers house herbs, flowers, and succulents, which have been collected via clippings from plants in our neighborhood. The rasquachismo has been instilled in me through this appreciation for the multi-functional properties of everyday objects.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashla, firstly I wanted to comment that I find your Café Bustelo planters are endearing, they remind me of my grandparent's backyard. Secondly, I was glad you mentioned that rasquachismo is rarely defined in academia because I found that to be puzzling as well. As I read I wondered if this is because generally from outsider perspective, rasquachismo can simply seem as crass and imply a lack of wealth, instead of understanding the intent behind repurposing items. Perhaps as well we have to consider the influence of fast-paced fashion trends and the desire to be "in with the new," but I think with the up-and-coming sustainability movement others might soon be practicing rasquachismo without realizing it!

    ReplyDelete