Monday, February 8, 2021

Week 6: Rasquachismo

         Rasquachismo is a theory developed by Chicano scholar Tomás Ybarra-Frausto to describe an underdog perspective, or from the lower class. Rasquachismo is commonoly used to describe aesthetics present in the working class Chicano and Mexican art movements, which need to make use of what resources they have, regardless of how little that is. The term has been coined as an underdog using his/her inventiveness for survival. It’s term is rooted in the older term rasquache, which is the English form of the Spanish term rascuache, of Nahuatl origin. While the term was originally used as a classist term, the Chicano community has switched its meaning and used it for empowerment. It is now used to highlight the creativity and uniqueness within Chicano and Mexican art. While these people may not have had the best resources to create art, they managed to take everyday items and transform them into something beautiful. This is what rasquachismo is truly all about.

            I think the way I practice rasquachismo is through thrift flipping. I only shop for clothes that are second hand/vintage, as it reduces waste and helps combat climate change. The best part about finding these clothes is transforming them into something completely different than what they originally were. I cut them up, sew them, and sometimes even embroider them to suit them to my liking. I believe this is in the spirit of rasquachismo culture. I also see my grandma practicing this aesthetic through glass art. She takes leftover glass bottles that my family has used, smashes them up, and creates beautiful glass art. Sometimes it’s window glass, other times it’s just a piece of art she hangs up or sells at her local farmers market. I had never even heard of the word rasquachismo before this class, but now that I do, it’s apparent my whole family practices it.

No comments:

Post a Comment