Monday, February 8, 2021

Week Five: Rasquachismo

Rasquache: a word used to judge someone who is of lower status, in terms of taste  in decorum. Rasquachismo seeks to break the custom of individuals that want to keep up with appearances. It is not an idea or a style. It simply is a state of being, an Attitude. It is a view that seeks to counter what it is considered aesthetically pleasing. It champions, bright colors, patterns on patterns and the sense of making things last. It is a form of expression with out the limitations of the next persons tastes. 

I can relate to some aspects of Rasquachismo. Growing up I did not have the most money. My clothes weren’t the best, therefore I never had the urge to show off. I believe that growing kept me humble, and this experience remind me to stay grounded even when things are going good. 

There was a time when I went to San Francisco for a conference. It was a professional setting therefore we had to wear a suit and tie. It was a very windy day and my suit jacket wasn’t cutting it. I took it off. I went to my car and grabbed a Sarape that one of my friends had let me borrow. All I can say is that, while everyone was freezing I was nice and warm and enjoyed my time there.


No comments:

Post a Comment