Monday, February 15, 2021

Week 7: Graffiti Is Art

    In Graffiti Is Art, Charles "Chaz" Bojorquez elaborates on the art form through his own experiences and by giving historical context of its evolution. He comments that through their art, individuals are able to develop their voices, finding new ways to share their vision. He also went on to express his thoughts on society's views of graffiti art. Oftentimes, graffiti is perceived as violent as many make connections to gang affiliations when viewing the art form. Bojorquez, however, demonstrates that there is a more complex approach when it comes to graffiti. It came about as individuals were trying to discover their own identities, and as time goes on, artists are able to expand on their individuality.
    As someone who has grown up constantly seeing the art form, I found myself relating to Bojorquez's comments but also became enlightened on the intricacy of graffiti. I found it very inspiring to learn about his insight. While I have always found myself captivated by graffiti, throughout this article I came to appreciate the work that surrounds me even more. Here in Richmond, Ca there is a large presence of graffiti. In more recent times, we see more and more collaborations with the youth allowing them space to share their creativity. All throughout the city you see these beautiful and colorful works with their own message. One thing I’ve noticed is that they demand to be seen. Many works are purposefully placed on main streets becoming exposed to many. Even works that are meant to be “hidden” in abandoned buildings are well known. While there is a stigma regarding graffiti, it is still appreciated by many and becoming more and more known with younger generations. 
    Bojorquez stated that “Graffiti art cannot stay the same; even the graffiti movement can’t stop it” (121). As life goes on, I hope to experience the evolution of graffiti within my own community. I want to see it change. I want to see it grow. 

1 comment:

  1. Hello Andrea!
    I strongly resonated with what you were saying happens in your city about "hidden" graffiti art. All around Los Angeles in places like Sunken City or The old LA zoo, is filled with art and abandoned spray cans everywhere. It's so cool to visit these places and go back and see how much has changed and been added to the walls. It's also good to know that their pieces are being appreciated with everyone that goes at least once before other artist contribute their own works of art.

    ReplyDelete