Saturday, December 4, 2021

Gavazza, Emmalee (Reflections)

When I reflect on this course, I feel really grateful. I genuinely enjoyed taking this class, and feel like I gained a lot of knowledge that will be valuable and useful to me for a long time. I have taken Chicana-centered classes before, but have never taken one that was specifically dedicated to discussing Chicana artists, which was especially cool since I’m an Art History major. The constant thread of activism that runs through so much of the art and artists we viewed was really important to me. As I’m sure everyone in this class recognizes, although there have been some gains in female visibility, women artists are still often mentioned after men. I thought this class was a wonderful chance to focus on what Chicanas are doing in the art world and how they continue to influence its shape (as they have always done, but have not always been recognized for). Another topic that I found fascinating was the intersection of Chicana art and artists with issues of technology, modernism, and digital media & materials. Claudia Zapata’s (and co-editors’) discussion in the compilation, “Impact of Chicano Graphics, 1965 to Now” exposed me to a lot of important information that changed the way I think about the relationship of technology to art production in general, and the specific role Chicanx artists have played in advancing & exploring new ways to take advantage of that relationship. I enjoyed learning about how issues of activism, feminism, labor advocacy and Chicanx identity translated so seamlessly from handmade artworks to digitally mediated forms. It’s not necessarily what you always think of when you hear “Chicana art,” but it’s definitely a part of the story that deserves more attention. Within this realm, I was particularly struck by the art of Marion C. Martinez. The way she salvages pieces of digital hardware that society would otherwise discard as mere trash, and turns them into these transformative works that invoke themes of divinity, protection, and the natural world is just amazing to me. It’s a process of reclamation that imagines a different perspective on technology, when so many critics and artists have traditionally used things like circuit boards or computer chips as symbols of anxiety and societal dread. To me Martinez’ work challenges our ideas about what technology can mean in our lives in a way that is both refreshing and eye-catching. Learning about artists like her is one of the things I’m most appreciative for as this course comes to an end.

No comments:

Post a Comment