Wednesday, December 8, 2021

maxwell, charlina week 9 presentations

 For the weekly presentations, many were very interesting and informative. It was different to see the course content delivered by my classmates, and their well researched topics added to the notability of their presentations. An artist who’s presentation really stuck with me was Sand One. her art was quite different from a lot of what I have seen, as an Art History major I have studied a lot of visual art from many different time periods and regions. This had a very modern feel, almost camp. Her creations having names and backstories, including their zodiac signs was a really unique touch to me. I can tell her passion for art through looking at her images, she is living in this world of characters she has created. 


I also like that she is a local artist, and I had unknowingly seen some of her doll paintings while spending time downtown. I enjoy the fact that she doesn’t paint men, and additionally her dolls are representative of the underrepresented minority and underprivileged women. These dolls are taking a stand against racism and classism, something the artist recognizes. Another fact about the artist I found interesting was that she didn’t go to college and many people don’t respect her art as the real deal. She is proving people wrong and doing notable work despite her setbacks. 


Artist Sand One gets copied in Tijuana, defaced in City Heights and North  Park | San Diego Reader

No comments:

Post a Comment