Saturday, November 22, 2014

Letter to Yreina Cervantez, Week 7

Dear Yreina,
I think you are absolutely epic, to start out with. I admire your dedication to your art and to your culture. As a college student, professors always tell me to work towards and write about the things that wake me up in the morning. Every morning, I wake up to thought of what it means to be black and what it means to be cultured. My culture and the culture of others is what drives me to be successful. I want to dedicate my life to finding out what the true meaning of diversity and cultural awareness means to the world, and how much of a better place it would be if people could understand and appreciate it. When I look at your art and see the woman you are, you make that dream very real and obtainable. Being able to see who you are through color, paint, and vision is a true blessing and thank god for women like you.
If I had anything to ask you, it would be how did you find this place in your life when you knew who you were? How did you discover the importance of your cultural background as a woman of color? I know for a lot of people, their family and love has influenced them to know who they are. For me, My mother and father always instilled in me to be proud of being a black woman. I had black barbies, black Betty Boop's, black super heroes, went to visit black Santa Claus' during Christmas, and I had many books. But as a grow into a young woman, I am finding it difficult to find my identity and place in society. There are rules that I don't fall under as black or as a woman, and sometimes I find that it literally drives me crazy. So as a Chicana woman, how did you discover this comfort ability? Being a woman of color comes with so many complexities and I admire your devotion and clarity that you provide for women of color like myself to see and learn from.

No comments:

Post a Comment