Friday, December 12, 2014

What I learned this quarter

This quarter I learned that Art is not just about perfect lines and pretty circles. I learned that art can be political and it can have a message that many can relate to rather than just being a "pretty picture". I learned about so many beautiful Chicana artists who not only are able to be political with their art, but allow me to relate to someone. Being a Chicana, there is hardly any representation of brown women in hollywood as it is, and even less in some areas such as art. Most people have heard of Pablo Picasso or Andy Warhol but hardly anyone has heard of Sonya Fe or Carmen Lomas Garza. I learned that there are many different ways in which I can express myself and it doesn't have to be pretty, it can be rough and ugly and messy as long as it allows me to let out my emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment