Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Hamsa Hand

The image I have selected as my stencil is the Hamsa Hand. The Hamsa hand symbolizes the hand of God. The hand is represented as a sign of protection and brings the owner happiness, luck, health and good fortune. This hand is represented in many cultures and religions  such as Arabic, Hebrew and Islamic and Buddhism. They each have their own version of this hand. I found the image online, there were so many versions of the hand that I selected the one I found more interesting. When I began the process of cutting the stencil out, it was difficult to cut through the cardboard/folder and it took me a while to decide what I wanted to  keep in the stencil. The image had more images within the image so I selected what I wanted to use. Cutting out the stencil took patience and determination to get the areas I wanted just right.
The reason why I selected this image is because I am interested in Buddhism and have joined a club on campus which the symbol comes up often. The hand also is part of my ethnic/cultural background being part Arabic. I find hope and peace within this image. I thought it would be a great stencil to use on my art book. The image means more than the general meaning, for me this image means my past and my present. This image represents my past as my ethnic and cultural background of being Arabic and my present interest in Buddhism. This image is symbolic to my understandings of myself.

1 comment:

  1. Even though you may have left details out of the stencil that you created, you did a wonderful job! I am a bit familiar with Hamsa Hands and I know they are quite decorative. Nonetheless, I really like it. I like the parallel between your connection to your image and Carmen Lomas Garza's childhood influence in her work.

    ReplyDelete