Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Hollywood Forever - Dia De Los Muertos

I attended Dia De Los Muertos at Hollywood Forever Cemetery this past Saturday the 24th. It was my second time getting to see it and aside from the crowds, it was a fun experience. I think it is amazing to be at a cemetery where everyone is in good spirits while remembering the dead among us (as in the graves). I feel that the dead would want to be celebrated, which makes this event a perfect fit for my frame of mind. 

This photo is of the altar dedicated to Richie Valens (La Bamba). His music played in the background at this altar while two people in costume danced to one of his slow ballads. 

This altar was dedicated to the missing 43 students in Ayotzinapa. A few people were dressed up in protest, and holding signs walking silently throughout the cemetery as a vigil in their honor.


Here I am with some of my family while we waited for Lila Downs to come to the stage. I didn't dress up this year like I did the previous year because I had two assignments to finish that day. :(

And here is Lila Downs on the stage. It was my first time seeing her and hearing her music. I thought she was amazing. It was a little bit spooky that she's a doppleganger for my grandmother who passed away a while ago. My grandmother used to sing Mexican music (in traditional dress) as well so it was like watching her all over again. 
Overall this was a fun experience. I love large gatherings where people come together to share a rich culture over similar experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment