Thursday, October 29, 2015

Sketchbook Cover-Jasmine Flower


For my sketchbook cover I used and drew a picture of a Jasmine flower. It’s a white flower with the most alluring scent. The Jasmine flower developed in Iran and has had a great history there. My family, who was born and raised in Iran, always had a connection with this small white flower and its scent. This flower reminds me of my grandmother who always tells me stories of how she would use this flower as a perfume and would keep them in her pockets or purse. Now, my grandpa always has Jasmine flowers around him. He planted them in his home, keeps them in a bowl on his table, keeps them in his car, and his pocket, he tells me it reminds him of his younger years, when he first met my grandma. The scent has such a peaceful attribute to it, so when I thought of something meaningful, this flower popped up in my mind and I knew I had to use it. This flower means family to me; more specifically this flower is my connection to my grandparents. I am fortunate enough to still have them in my life, and in fact I have a very special bond with them. The scent will always remind me of them and if I ever run into a Jasmine bush when I’m driving or taking a walk, I have pulled over to pick some off and take them with me in my car or purse. I found a picture of a perfect single flower, drew it onto my manila folder, and carefully cut it out into my stencil and used the white paint to transfer it onto my sketchbook.

1 comment:

  1. Samina,
    Your Jasmine flower is beautiful! I too have scent connections with family members. My grandmother has always worn the same perfume for years and always reminds me of her. My Grandmother helped raise me when I was young and therefore will always be a very special person to me. I am fortunate too that my grandparents are still in my life and family will always be important to me as it seems to you as well.

    ReplyDelete