Monday, December 7, 2015

Week 10 Reflection

Looking back at the beginning of the quarter, I can definitely say that I was very ignorant to the world of Chicana art and artists. At the beginning of the quarter, I don't think that I knew any Chicana artists; at the end of the quarter, I knew over 50 artists, not only by name but by their work as well. I also learned a lot through the texts and required reading about many symbols of Chicana/o culture like the Virgen de Guadalupe, La Llorona, and La Malinche, along with Mexica goddesses.

Another huge aspect of the class was the Moleskine book project where we all drew hands in ASL along with self portraits and other memories. I think the hands in ASL were a good exercise, but I think it was a little bit repetitive. I think it was important to do many different hand symbols, but some of them were about the same so I think that 26 was somewhat a stretch. I believe that for a future class, some more different project would be funner and more about telling a story about oneself.

Overall, I believe I came out of the class with some important knowledge about my culture and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment