Saturday, December 5, 2015

Week 10 Reflection

These past 10 weeks have taught me so much about Chicana artists, their works, and also how to practice my own art making skills. Chicana artists, as discussed in class, are a diverse group of artists that have different backgrounds, lived experiences, and interests that they share through their art. I have also learned about the ways in which Chicana art has been used as a political tool and as a form of empowerment. On the first day of class I was only able to name one Chicana artist which was Judy Baca because I took a class with her last year and in her class we learned about "Los Tres Grandes" but of course none of them were women. Learning about Chicana artists has made me feel empowered and even more knowledgeable about my own culture. This has been the only class I've had where I can learn in detail about La Virgen de Guadalupe, La Llorona and La Malinche. On the last day of class I was able to name 18 Chicana artists and even more than that I know about their works and who they are. I have also enjoyed taking this class because I have been able to share with my family and friends what I've learned and as Professor Lopez said in class the artists we learned about are only a fraction of all the Chicana artists. Through the artist research project we did I was able to learn about an artist that I would now call one of my favorites. Favianna Rodriguez, like many  other Chicana artists, is not only an artist but an activist and I like the way she incorporates powerful messages into beautiful art works that catch viewers' attention. I also really enjoyed working on my sketchbook because I did not think I would ever be able to draw a decent hand and slowly I see improvements in my work. It is fun to be able to express yourself and be creative and then see the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment