Friday, June 8, 2018

Extra Credit: The Black Experience Mural



It amazes me as we learned in class how art is everywhere. I had seen many murals prior to this class and while I was fascinated, I never truly knew the meanings. What I find so intriguing is the efforts of people to cover up and get rid of murals and pieces that are part of a political movement and historical references. This "Black Experience" mural in Ackerman Union is important piece of art like many others. This in specifically is a representation of Activism and key figures in the African American community. The detail and meaning is truly remarkable. It was created in 1970 and was tried to cover up with the excuse of needing more space for the restaurant. Like many other art piece the educators fail to acknowledge them and teach members of the community about it. I have been at UCLA four years and it took me taking this class to find out there is a piece of art so amazing like this. I am appreciative for being able to have learned that this piece was revitalized thanks to the African Student Union who worked to get it back. I think preserving murals is key to our community and I am grateful to have learned about this piece of art while still a student. I learned through this mural and the class that we need to take a moment to appreciate the context of art and learn more about our artistic histories.

No comments:

Post a Comment