Thursday, February 13, 2020

2020CroshawHannah Stencil Blog Post: Dragon

For my stencil I’m going to be reworking a print I made while studying at Santa Barbara City College, which is a dragon I’ve created, drawn and redrawn many times in my artwork.

Formatting-wise, if the stencil becomes too detailed while including the whole body of the dragon, and peonies below, then I’ll rework the stencil to include his head, part of his antlers and part of his hands over the front and back covers of my sketchbook.

I love the dual reading this of mine has; dragons are usually quite large, powerful beasts, but this one definitely is a softy. I’ve drawn him flying, sleeping, gardening, and now I see this iteration to be in either a sleeping pose or meditation pose full of good, positive energy.

I didn’t think much about drawing peonies below at the time, besides really loving those flowers. Now, looking at it again, I love the complexity of peonies, and the multiple layers and petals that make them a somewhat messy, but beautiful flower.

I’ve attached below an image of one of my screenprints of my dragon.

Question for you all, what do dragons and peonies, or your favorite flower, mean to you and why?


No comments:

Post a Comment