Thursday, February 13, 2020

2020Ponce-RojasAlejandra

Image result for swan stencil

My stencil will look similar to two swans making a heart with their little heads. I took a picture similar to this image, it is the first photo I recall taking on this little digital Canon camera that my mother entrusted me with as a third-grader on a field trip to San Francisco museums. The photo was taken outside a science museum, I wish I could remember which one it was. Outside, on the lawn behind the museum, there was a pond or small kind of body of water that connected to the ocean eventually, I imagine. The swans were traveling from edge to edge of the banks, and I remember overlooking them as I sat criss-cross on the grass, eating an Uncrustables and some apple slices. It was cute for me to see and get a picture of them just as they joined their little heads together. I also remember hoping they were two femme/female/girl swans that had known each other for a while and developed a solid relationship or kin that allowed them to show that love for each other in front of all the other swans! I thought of how brave they were and how brave I was for showing the picture to my mom when I came back home, and explaining what I thought the swans were doing. Her reaction was supportive and explained that love was friendship, and that love can be found in friendships. So, not only were the swans gay for me, they held an image of friendship, care, and kinship that I wanted to share with my community and friends. My stencil will look similar to this but I want to try to add the water ripples they made and maybe some plants native to Watsonville sloughs (just to incorporate home :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment