Thursday, February 13, 2020

Week 6 Stencil


I want to do a stencil out of Fred Armisen's SNL character Regine. I first came across this character from a meme and Fred's judgement stare and the way he's holding his cigarette like that, it just made me think that we've all been in moments and situations that reflect this exact sentiment. The photo just made me laugh. It prompted me to actually watch the SNL sketches of Regine and she is so cringeworthy, inappropriate, rude, shady, and has incredibly poor social skills. She's a terrible person. pretty much like any good comedy sketch character.

I was having a hard time coming up with an idea of what I wanted to do for my stencil. I was going back and forth on whether I should do something personal or something symbolic and was going through my photos and I came upon a screenshot of this photo and I decided that doing something that makes me laugh would be great. It's been a busy and tiresome quarter, and its good to find moments of laughter and the Regine sketches really made me laugh.

An idea that I had for incorporating the stencil in my sketchbook is by framing it like a Victorian / Edwardian portrait. It would be funny to produce a portrait that was typically reserved for proper and elite women for Regine. It would be a funny juxtaposition. Another way I could use this stencil in my sketchbook is by drawing her inside a television. I could do a whole living room set-up and apply the perspective drawing we learned on the first day of class.

No comments:

Post a Comment