Thursday, February 27, 2020

Week 8: Capturing Artist

On Friday, students began presentation their selection of artist to inform the class who they are, what they do, how they make an impact, and why they do it. In general, all presentations were properly presented and most of the images chosen by students were interesting. The one image that stood out to me the most was by Jeaneen Carlino. It was a painting of a chola carrying what seemed to be her child. On the left side of the painting there is an old pay phone and on the right side of the painting one can see a neighborhood and two roses. Also, the chola and the child have a halo around their heads which represents religion. This painting was capturing because it reminded me of my neighborhood. The payphone reminded me of the times when I would forget my keys to enter the building. Next to the apartment building is a payphone. I would call my mom on the payphone to either throw the entrance key from the balcony or come down to open the door for me. Second, the chola and child in the painting remind me of a person I knew from the block. She was a chola and had a child at a young age, but still she was a hard-worker and loved her child very much. Often, roses remind me of living in the hood. Like thorns, it is painful, but beautiful to live in because even if danger arises, the community continues to support each other. Overall, I enjoyed looking at this image and listening about it because of its vibrant colors and because I was able to relate to it in a personal way. It captures the definition that people from the hood are not at all bad people.

No comments:

Post a Comment