Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Week 8


I was really happy to be able to hear from all the students that presented during class this past Friday. It was interesting to see the wide range of artist that my fellow classmates had chosen to research. It helped me become exposed to new artists that I may not have heard or known much about before. It is nice to discover new artists and experience the different works they have created.

The artist that captivated my attention the most was Liliana Navarro. Her unique style and use of vibrant colors immediately made me take notice of her tremendous talent. I had actually seen her art before without realizing it. I had previously seen the painting of the singer-songwriter CUCO, who I am a fan of, that she produced. I didn’t know who had painted it before now, but I am glad I was able to find out through Adilen’s presentation. I have visited the artist’s website and her social media and continue to be impressed by all the work she has produced. It is inspiring to see a young Chicana artist working to represent brown people in celebratory ways. It is nice to see Chicanx being represented in art in a way that celebrates our lives and culture. When I visited Navarro's website I came across this image and really enjoyed it. I like the way that Navarro juxtaposes both masculine and feminine symbols with the hoop earrings, mustache, and sombrero. I think it is an interesting way to bend gender norms and expectations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment