Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Extra Credit - Mujeres de Maiz 2020 Event and Volunteer work: Esparza, Gregory

On Saturday March 7th, Mujeres de Maiz had their annual event that was celebrated on International Women’ Day. This year’s theme was Xingonx Fest 2020 Vision: Prophecy Manifested. The night before the event I joined their production from about 4:30 PM until 6:30 PM. While I was there, I painted one of the panels that was a part of the background of their mainstage. I also unloaded and carried in supplies for someone that was going to sew pillows from t-shirts. I helped with various tasks, such as locating certain equipment, and did some editing for the event’s e-blast/flyer that was sent out about one week prior. I also made a flyer for one of that art installations for people to take with them for an upcoming book talk at Self-Help Graphics, hosted by Mujeres de Maiz. I was tasked with updating some final edits for the final e-blast/flyer with the latest details and additions of artists, performers, and vendors participating in the event.
When I attended the event on Saturday evening, I caught two performances. The first was Kim Guerra of Brown Badass Bonita storytelling and the other was Las Tías that performed classic canciones with two acoustic guitars and beautiful vocalizations. I also saw friends in music Martha Gonzalez of Quetzal and talked about collaborating and she introduced me to Maya Jupiter, who I have heard much about for years, but never met until this past Saturday. It was great to see Professor Alma Lopez’s work in the exhibition, from her “Sor Juana” series of photographs and Martha Raquel Gonzales’ installation that exemplified a collage that affirmed her vision about the book project she co-edited with Lara Medina,Voices From The Ancestors, that came to fruition this past October 2019. I saw Jeaneen Carlino’s artwork exhibited as well! 


No comments:

Post a Comment