Wednesday, March 4, 2020

week 9

The artist that stood out to me last week during the presentations was Judy Baca. Judy Baca is an artist that I have heard about since the beginning of class and in other classes I have taken but I was never familiar with her work. The piece that caught my eye was the Great Wall of Los Angeles. I found it interesting that it was such a long mural that tells the story of all the different ethnicities that make up Los Angeles. I also liked that the mural depicts real life issues like immigration, women's rights, exploitation of people and land and others. It is 2,754 feet long, which to me is insane. I have never seen it in person. I hope to go see it before I move back home. If I don't get to see it, it gives me a reason to come and visit. I thought that the mural was grand and I appreciate the dedication and time it took to paint the mural with the help of other people. I think I remember the presenter saying it took over ten years to complete and the professor said it was recently touched up in the recent years. I am glad I got to hear about her work and see the murals she has painted. Imagine walking and viewing the painting and learning with every step you take and at the end you are able to understand Los Angeles better.

No comments:

Post a Comment