Sunday, February 7, 2021

Week 6: Rasquachismo/Domesticana

I had not heard the term Rasquachismo until last year. I had not heard the term Domesticana until this class. I appreciate both terms. Domesticana is described as the "Chicana Rasquachismo." The Rasquachismo sensibility is the "underdog perspective." An "unfettered and unrestrained" attitude of resourcefulness acquired through lived experience. making the most from the least. Domesticana is geared towards the same but with special regard for female forms of making (ie. craft).

Growing up with nature as a teacher, I learned to make things and games from the elements bestowed upon me by the earth. I would use bamboo to make huts, dig deep holes to find clay like dirt and use my knife to carve wood. I love creating something from nothing. I grew up trying to fit in with friends who had things that were better or more beautiful than the things I had. When I could use my hands to make things that were considered beautiful or coveted it gave me a great feeling of pride. By my teens I could sew, embroider, use power tools, paint and draw. I made my middle school graduation dress (with some help from one of my dads clients). My family had a slight hoarding habit so there was always plenty of material to work with. Now up-cycling and resourcefulness are major parts of my artistic practice. I often use old clothes and sheets in my paintings or to sew/mend clothes or refurbish furniture. 

Attached are two photos. One of these photos is a poppy plushy I made for my mom for mother's day. This is made out of three old t-shirts and stuffing (used for storing art) that one of my past bosses had given me. The other photo is of a set of chairs and table that I bought from an estate sale for 65$ and reupholstered, which was a very ambitious just for fun project, but totally paid off.




1 comment:

  1. Hello Louisa! I never heard of the terms Rasquachismo or Domesticana prior to taking this class as well. After reading about rasquachismo and domesticana I realized how these terms have been a part of my everyday life. I think it is cool how you learned how to make huts out of bamboo and how you made your middle school graduation dress. Lastly, your poppy plushy is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete