Friday, February 21, 2020

Week 7

Guadalupe Rosales (1980) is an artist born and raised in Los Angeles, CA. She moved to New York when she was 20 years old. She mentions that she moved because many things were changing in her life when she was living in LA. One of her cousins died due to gang violence. When she was in New York, she missed her community and wanted to feel connected with then, but every time she would search for things that would connect her with her past life, she would not find it. She would only find misrepresentations of her community. She decided to create an Instagram account and post old pictures (pre-social media) that represented the life of Chicana women and anything related to their community in Los Angeles. She did not want male-dominated or fashion photos, she wanted to represent females and things that would feel more intimate to her stories. Her Instagram account then became an online gallery where anyone can submit their pictures of people or things that they love and or miss. I like this image because it shows how life was during the time it was taken. It reminds me of pictures I saw at home from my parents when they were young. Women used to have big hair and dresses that went down to the knees. The images stop time and save treasures for a long time. Even though I did not grow up when these pictures were taken, I can connect and imagine myself as if I was there too.


Fresno, 1949

No comments:

Post a Comment